All body artists (those who would like to do tattooing, piercing, etc. at the Boston Tattoo Convention) must apply for a Temporary Body Art Practitioner License from the Boston Public Health Commission (BPHC). You can submit applications, required documents, and the permit fee online or by mail. Please direct all questions to 617-534-5965 or EHPermits@bphc.org.
Note: All complete applications must be received by at least 5 business days in advance of the Boston Tattoo Convention to ensure they are processed prior to the convention. Applications that are incomplete or that are not received will not be processed.
Please Note: Only fully licensed Artists and Practitioners should apply for a Temporary Body Art Practitioner License for this event. We do not accept apprentice licenses to tattoo at the BTC.
Body Art Practitioner License – Application Requirements
- Body Art Practitioner License application
- Click here for the online application (permit fee to be paid by credit card only) and here for instructions to help you apply online
- Click here for the paper application (permit fee to be paid by check or money order only). Paper applications may be mailed to:
ATTN: Body Art Practitioner License Application
Environmental & Occupational Health Division
Boston Public Health Commission
1010 Massachusetts Ave 2nd Floor
Boston, MA 02118
- Required Documents:
- A valid government-issued photo ID (driver’s license, passport, state ID)
- Certificate of completion of bloodborne pathogens course
- Certificate of completion of first aid/CPR course
- Piercers only: certificate of completion of anatomy & physiology course
- Proof of at least 1 year of experience such as a copy of your current body artist license/permit or other proof of professional practice such as a business license or tax certificate
- $75 permit fee